Recipe by LMillerRN
From Cooking Light.
Top Review by Southern Bug
I used this as more of a guide than following exactly. I used all the same veggies, just in eyeballed amounts. I left out the turkey, but seasoned the same with the soy sauce & pepper. I had enough filling for 16 egg rolls. I loved the fact that these were baked and not fried, but I did miss a little of the crispiness. Maybe I'll cook a bit longer next time to fix that. Overall - great alternative to the fried take-out version. I froze some leftovers for future meals.
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 egg roll wraps
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine celery and carrot in food processor, and pulse 10 times or until finely chopped.
- Combine celery mixture and cabbage in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at high 5 minutes; drain.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cabbage mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, and pepper. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Trim 1 inch off right and left corners of wrapper. Spoon 3 tablespoons turkey filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in trimmed corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with egg white; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers, turkey filling, and egg white.
- Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray, and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- To prepare sauce, combine 3/4 cup soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon ginger; serve with egg rolls. Garnish with green onions, if desired.