A quick and easy breakfast or brunch that is delicous and very attractive.This recipe is from Anne Quatrano and appeared in Food and Wine Magazine (April, 2005).
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a pie plate, toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter.
- Bake for 6 minutes, stirring once, until golden.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a rapid boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the asparagus and refresh under cold running water, then pat dry.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the heavy cream with the sliced garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus in 4 individual-size gratin dishes and season with salt and pepper.
- Crack 2 eggs into each gratin dish, pour the garlic cream on top and sprinkle all over with the buttered crumbs.
- Bake the eggs for 15 minutes, or until the whites are firm and the yolks are still runny.
- Serve at once.