Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Ruby Mae Bromley operated Mrs. Bromley's Dining Room in Clarendon, Texas many years ago. She was known throughout the area for her good country home cooking. If you like fried okra, you'll love this way of preparing it.
- 2 lbs okra, cut crosswise in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix okra, corn meal, salt and pepper in a baking dish until the okra is thoroughly coated with the corn meal.
- Slice the butter on top of the okra.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning half-way through with a spatula so the okra will brown evenly.
- Remove from oven and drain on a paper towel.
Ruby is my great grandmother. I love all my memories of her cooking in her big ol' home, dinner buffets and most of all her taking us to get a dipped cone at Dairy Queen and the people in the drive through always refusing to let her pay. Not only was she a phenomenal cook, but a wonderful woman of God, always helping those in her community. I pray I can be 1/2 the lady she was.
I've made this several times and have neglected to write a review. I sometimes use flour instead of cornmeal and spray with butter flavored Pam. While it doesn't get as crisp as I would like, it is much easier and healthier than frying. Thanks for the recipe.
This was an easy way to prepare okra but my family thought it was dry. I used fresh okra from my garden. Thanks for sharing.