Recipe by Julie in TX
Ruby Mae Bromley operated Mrs. Bromley's Dining Room in Clarendon, Texas many years ago. She was known throughout the area for her good country home cooking. If you like fried okra, you'll love this way of preparing it.
Top Review by tananananut
Ruby is my great grandmother. I love all my memories of her cooking in her big ol' home, dinner buffets and most of all her taking us to get a dipped cone at Dairy Queen and the people in the drive through always refusing to let her pay. Not only was she a phenomenal cook, but a wonderful woman of God, always helping those in her community. I pray I can be 1/2 the lady she was.
- 2 lbs okra, cut crosswise in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix okra, corn meal, salt and pepper in a baking dish until the okra is thoroughly coated with the corn meal.
- Slice the butter on top of the okra.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning half-way through with a spatula so the okra will brown evenly.
- Remove from oven and drain on a paper towel.