Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from the Betty Crocker 1971 recipe card set. I posted it in response to a request for recipe on the boards. The recipe can easily be cut in half for six servings. Note to World Tour participants - I believe the ingredients are typical for the Canada region.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Blend eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in scalded milk.
- Pour into twelve 6 oz custard cups.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place cups in 2 baking pans, 13 X 9 X 2.
- Pour very hot water into pans to within 1/2 inch of tops of cups.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
- Remove cups from water and chill.
- Unmold and top with fresh sweetened berries.
- May top with a dollop of whipped cream dusted with nutmeg or a sprig of mint, if desired.
I have loved egg custard ever since I was a little girl. My mom used to make it for me all the time. This is a delicious recipe. I like to add just a touch more sugar to my custard. I will serve this custard with sliced strawberries sprinkled with sugar.
LOVED IT! PanNan, this is pure comfort food! I used freshly ground nutmeg and topped it with raspberries, but it was so good it wouldn't need a topping. Thank you for posting! Made for ZWT, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.
Super fantastic!! The best custard I have ever made.