Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This custard is really good--hot or cold. Excellent when you've got too many eggs on hand, too.
Make and share this Baked Custard recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 180°C Brush an 8 cup capacity oven-proof dish with melted butter.
- Whisk all ingredients, except nutmeg, together for one minute.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Place filled dish into a shallow baking dish and pour hot water into baking dish to come halfway up the side of filled dish.
- Place on oven shelf and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 160C and bake for 40 minutes or until custard is set and a sharp knife comes out clean when inserted.
- Remove dish from water.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.
- Temperature conversion is 180C = 350F. 160C = 325F.
This custard is excellent! It was so easy to make. Like other people though, I had to cook it for about 10 min. more but, it came out perfect. I substituted cinnamon for the nutmeg because I don't care for nutmeg and I loved it. I loved the fact that it did not require stove top directions. Great recipe! Thanks!
OMG I am droling over the photos and will be making this as soon as I have the cream that I'll need. Will rate it soon ;-)
Had a craving for this and decided to whip it up one night because this recipe was so easy. It was delicious of course! Perfect too because we were going out of town the next day and I needed to use up some dairy. I made 5 custards in custard bowls and froze two because they were left over. I haven't thawed them out to try them yet so I will let you know how they came out when I do. Thanks! UPDATE 8/20/09: Tried the frozen custards today. I thawed them in the microwave using the defrost function for 5 minutes. Unfortunately they came out much much too soggy and were not good, so I would stay away from freezing them :)