Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious way to serve canned fruits. Use at least 3 cans of fruit; however, you can substitute other canned or fresh fruits, such as, grapefruit, fruit cocktail, bing cherries, apples or whole cranberries. Adjust sugar according to the tartness of the fruits you use.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in juice
- 1 (15 ounce) canpeach halfes in juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, in juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can pear halves in natural juice
- 8 maraschino cherries, halved
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- Drain all fruits, reserving 1/2 cup of mixed juices.
- Place fruit in layer in 8x8-inch glass baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar and spices with reserved 1/2 cup mixed fruit juice.
- Pour over fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
a different way to serve canned fruit, but it doesn't work for us. the curry powder is still raw tasting after an hour of baking, the fruit would be better without it. i can see this recipe working starting with fresh fruit added to basic melted butter with curry powder and sugar , or even melting butter and curry powder, then adding the fruit juice, and simmering the fruit on the stovetop- sorry this wasn't our thing, so to speak
GREAT recipe, if you are concerned about the "raw" taste of the curry powder try toasting it in a skillet before adding it to the recipe... it usually adds to the full flavor you're looking for.
We loved it! The curry was different, not raw tasting at all. I used it at a holiday brunch, and I put a bowl of sour cream nearby for garnish. Perfect for a winter brunch! Thanks