A crispy, tasty alternative to deep fried mushroom. Easier than frying as well. Make a double batch, freeze on a baking sheet and place in a plastic bag for unexpected guests.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil.
- In small bowl, combine egg, onion and hot pepper sauce; blend well.
- Place flour in plastic bag.
- Place crushed cracker crumbs in shallow pan.
- Place mushrooms in bag with flour; shake to coat.
- For each mushroom, shake off excess flour. Dip each into egg mix; coating well.
- Dip or roll in crumbs.
- Place on foil-lined pan.
- Spray lightly with oil.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or unti hot and crisp.
- To re-heat: Allow mushroom to thaw; bake as directed.
- Note: Can substitute broccoli florets for mushrooms.
We LOVED it! Quick and very easy to make with the help of DD who dredged it into the flour mixture! I couldn't get hold of melba rounds or bagel chips so had to use seasoned breadcrumbs instead. I served it with jonesies' Ranch-Style Buttermilk Dressing (Light Version). Thank you, Caroline, for sharing this wonderful recipe.. I shall definitely be making it again!
I never made fried mushrooms, which I love. When I saw this recipe I was thrilled. I could "have my cake and eat it too" -- no muss, no fuss and delicious!
Yumm, we really liked these. We used the bagel chips and that made them nice and crunchy. Easy to make as well. Thanks for posting, we'll make these again for sure. They were a lovely side to veggie burgers.