Recipe by Caroline Cooks
A crispy, tasty alternative to deep fried mushroom. Easier than frying as well. Make a double batch, freeze on a baking sheet and place in a plastic bag for unexpected guests.
Top Review by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
We LOVED it! Quick and very easy to make with the help of DD who dredged it into the flour mixture! I couldn't get hold of melba rounds or bagel chips so had to use seasoned breadcrumbs instead. I served it with jonesies' Recipe #202006. Thank you, Caroline, for sharing this wonderful recipe.. I shall definitely be making it again!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 8 drops hot pepper sauce (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup crushed melba rounds (about 18) or 3⁄4 cup bagel chips
- 8 ounces fresh whole mushrooms (with stems)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray or cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil.
- In small bowl, combine egg, onion and hot pepper sauce; blend well.
- Place flour in plastic bag.
- Place crushed cracker crumbs in shallow pan.
- Place mushrooms in bag with flour; shake to coat.
- For each mushroom, shake off excess flour. Dip each into egg mix; coating well.
- Dip or roll in crumbs.
- Place on foil-lined pan.
- Spray lightly with oil.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or unti hot and crisp.
- To re-heat: Allow mushroom to thaw; bake as directed.
- Note: Can substitute broccoli florets for mushrooms.