Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like baked onions, this is a wonderful side dish.
- 6 -7 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- salt and pepper
- buttered bread crumb
- slivered almonds
- Cook onions in water until tender.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- Place onions in casserole dish.
- Set aside.
- Mix reserved liquid with milk and heat in saucepan.
- Keep warm.
- Melt butter in another saucepan and stir in flour with whisk.
- Cook over medium heat at least one minute, or until you have a white roux.
- Add the roux to the warm milk mixture, stirring with a whisk over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in beaten egg yolk, salt and pepper.
- Pour this sauce over the onions, top with buttered bread crumbs and slivered almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until heated through.