Recipe by Kiwiwife
Fantastic holiday side dish, has a bit of a kick. Guesstimated onion bag size. Whatever the standard bag at the store is, that's the size!
Top Review by Vin S.
Great recipe, I am very glad I found this simple version, but I found it to be far too salty which I think was because I think pecerano romano is very salty itself, it all got gobbled up any how this thanksgiving with with compliment's along side it's bit salty, which I would say was a complete understatement/ Next year same cheese but no salt and half the cayenne pepper with the option to add salt and pepper at the table ... ! Thank You So much, I will nail it next Thanksgiving , It's a must have on my table ... !
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook onions according to package and drain well.
- In saucepan, melt butter and add flour, cook 3 to 4 minutes Add cream, cheese and seasonings and simmer until thick.
- Add mixture to onions, top with breadcrumbs and heat 15 minutes or until bubbly in oven.