Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
A delicious and different way to serve cabbage - baked with a cream sauce and topped with bread crumbs. From Just Vegetable Recipes.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Shred cabbage and cook for 9 minutes in boiling water.
- Remove cabbage and drain well.
- Place in 1 1/2 quart buttered casserole.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and salt and cook until smooth.
- Add milk gradually, stirring until thick.
- Pour sauce over cabbage and sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until crumbs are brown.
So easy yet so delicious! This recipe could be taken a number of directions by adding onions, cheese, garlic, shredded zucchini, etc. I added one small carrot grated for color and a small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Be sure not to overcook the dish or it will dry out. Added white pepper and a dash of salt-free garlic powder, too. Served with baked fish and a tossed salad. I did shred the cabbage finely (like coleslaw) and boiled it, but I think next time I will either coarsely chop and boil or shred finely and not boil. Hope that makes sense to cooks out there. Thanks cg
I'm not sure if I did something wrong but I thought this was gross.. it had no flavor I tried to add some cheese or something to make it taste better but nothing worked we ended up throwing it out :-(
When I was a kid, I used to beg my Mom to make creamed cabbage for me. This recipe is very close to what she made and I loved it! It was easy to make and went perfectly with my St. Patrick's Day dinner. Thank you for bringing back some good memories and for the great recipe!