Recipe by Marie
A delicious and different way to serve cabbage - baked with a cream sauce and topped with bread crumbs. From Just Vegetable Recipes.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
So easy yet so delicious! This recipe could be taken a number of directions by adding onions, cheese, garlic, shredded zucchini, etc. I added one small carrot grated for color and a small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Be sure not to overcook the dish or it will dry out. Added white pepper and a dash of salt-free garlic powder, too. Served with baked fish and a tossed salad. I did shred the cabbage finely (like coleslaw) and boiled it, but I think next time I will either coarsely chop and boil or shred finely and not boil. Hope that makes sense to cooks out there. Thanks cg
- 1 medium cabbage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred cabbage and cook for 9 minutes in boiling water.
- Remove cabbage and drain well.
- Place in 1 1/2 quart buttered casserole.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and salt and cook until smooth.
- Add milk gradually, stirring until thick.
- Pour sauce over cabbage and sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until crumbs are brown.