Recipe by Tish
You can substitute cherries, blueberries or raisins for the dried cranberries.
Top Review by Daphne2002
I'm trying to learn better ways to cook oatmeal so that I'll enjoy eating it more often. This is really good! I really liked a different baked oatmeal dish, so thought I would try this one. This one is nothing like the other, but is also really good. I used blueberries instead od cranberries. It is nice to eat oatmeal that isn't too sweet! Thanks!
- 3 cups skim milk, plus more for serving if desired
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled, finely chopped apples
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Coat a 9 in square pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk, brown sugar, margarine, and cinnamon to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, chopped apple, cranberries, and nuts; spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- When the milk mixture begins to boil, pour out evenly over the oatmeal mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, ore until the liquid has been absorbed and the oatmeal is tender.
- Cut the mixture into 6 servings, scooping each out into a cereal bowl.
- Garnish with a sliced apple (if desired) and serve with a pitcher of milk.