Recipe by WiGal
Our family and friends love this low fat side dish. When I have a vegetarian here, I use vegetable broth instead of chicken. This recipe came from Cooking Light magazine.
Top Review by threeovens
A very nice side dish to whatever else you want to make. It would go well with grilled meat or veggies or a roast. It would certainly serve as lunch all by itself since it has so many healthy ingredients built right in.
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 14 ounces vegetable broth, DIVIDED
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring 1 cup of broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in uncooked couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add squash, onions, basil, oregano, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until squash is tender. Set aside.
- Combine cheeses; set aside.
- Combine couscous, squash mixture, and half of cheese mixture in a large bowl; stir in remaining broth, egg substitute, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish that is lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden. Mine takes 35. Serve warm.