1/8 Photos of Baked Couscous With Summer Squash
Our family and friends love this low fat side dish. When I have a vegetarian here, I use vegetable broth instead of chicken. This recipe came from Cooking Light magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 14 ounces vegetable broth, DIVIDED
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Bring 1 cup of broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in uncooked couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork.
- 3Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add squash, onions, basil, oregano, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until squash is tender. Set aside.
- 4Combine cheeses; set aside.
- 5Combine couscous, squash mixture, and half of cheese mixture in a large bowl; stir in remaining broth, egg substitute, salt, and pepper.
- 6Spoon mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish that is lightly coated with cooking spray.
- 7Top with remaining cheese mixture.
- 8Bake at 400°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden. Mine takes 35. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Couscous With Summer Squash
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.9
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 223.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth