Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Stuffed with veggies, you can serve stuffing/dressing on the side; also goes well with wild rice and/or roasted potatoes.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Delicious, easy, and so festive! I made as written, but without butter, and I used fresh mushrooms. I used all the pan juices, and about 1/2 cup water to cook my yellow rice ~ Made for Summer Photo Tag 2012.
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mixed mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup melted butter, onion, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano and parsley.
- Season hens inside and out with salt and pepper to taste, then stuff with equal amounts butter/vegetable mixture.
- Place stuffed birds in a 9x13 inch baking dish, breast side up.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Cover dish and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and brown at 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).