I had leftover sweet cornbread to use one night, and this is what I came up with. I let the cornbread dry a bit, then mixed it with spices. It turned out sooo good, and I served it with beets and mashed potatoes. You can serve it with any vegetable, or it might be good with pasta/rice.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbs (mine were sweet crumbs(make sure they are dry)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small tomato, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix crumbs, garlic powder, italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and salt-n-pepper in a shallow baking dish (I dried my cornbread crumbs at room temperature for a couple hours, and I use a pie plate--easier that way).
- Coat each chicken breast with crumb mixture on each side.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet.
- Brown both sides of the 2 breasts over medium heat.about 5 minutes each side.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Coat evenly with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Top each chicken breast with a few tomato slices, onion and green onion.
- Place chicken on treated pan.
- Bake for 45 min -- ovens vary.
- Note: You don't have to add the tomato, onion/green onion.