Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a low fat cookbook I had. Don't want to lose this. Goes well with new potatoes and green salad.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drain but reserve in case too dry
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 cod steaks or 4 halibut steaks
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a pan and cook the onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and seasoning.
- Bring the sauce just to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until thick.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Grease an ovenproof dish, put in the fish and spoon an equal amount of the tomato sauce onto each piece.
- Sprinkle the dried bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, basting the fish occasionally with the sauce until the fish is tender and cooked through and the bread crumbs are golden and crisp.
- Serve hot.
This is a good basic recipe. I make a very similar one but I add some oregano and basil plus a few chopped black olives. It can be played around with. Also, some hot pepper flakes gives is more bite. Anyway, it is good and also healthy and should not be overlooked. Just use your imagination.