The combination of wine, gruyere cheese and toasty bread in this fish casserole evokes the flavors of fondue - a perfect winter food (we used it during Lent). Choose Pacific cod, and ocean-friendly choice. Make it a meal: Serve with steamed broccoli with crushed red pepper flakes and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Midwest Living Magazine, 06/2006 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 lb button mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 lbs cod (cut into 4 pieces)
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped whole-wheat country bread (about 2 slices)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (we used roasted garlic) or 1/2 teaspoon roasted garlic (we used roasted garlic)
- 1 cup finely shredded gruyere cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Heat 1 T of oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add onions and cook stirring often, until just starting to soften, 5-7 minutes.
- 4Add mushrooms until starting to get dry.
- 5Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the wine is slightly reduced, 2-4 minutes.
- 6Place cod on the onions and sprinkle with thyme, salt, pepper, & 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes (if using).
- 7Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- 8Toss the bread with the remaining 1 Tablespoon oil; paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- 9Spread the bread mixture over the fish and top with cheese.
- 10Bake, uncovered, until the fish is opaque in the center, about 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Cod Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.3
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 90.6 mg
- Sodium 392.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 35.1 g