Recipe by Aimchick
I love anything that has coconut in it and this is one a fantatic way to bring coconut to a main course. The best part is that these coconut shrimp are not fried so you can eat more of them with out feeling guilty!! I like to serve them with pineapple salsa, which means I add crushed pineapple and coconut to a jar of salsa. It’s a spectacular treat!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- -Peel, devein and rinse shrimp.
- -Lay shrimp on a baking sheet and pat dry.
- -In a pie plate or other shallow dish, combine cornstarch, salt and red pepper.
- -In a shallow bowl, beat egg whites until slightly frothy.
- -Place coconut in another shallow dish.
- -Dredge each shrimp in the cornstarch mixture, then egg whites and finally coconut.
- -Press lightly with fingers to make sure shrimp is evenly coated.
- -After dredging, lay each shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- -Bake for 20 minutes, turning over each shrimp after 10 minutes.