Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this online and posting for ZWT-Laos.
Make and share this Baked Coconut Rice Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup short-grain pudding rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 large strips lime rind
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 pinch ground star anise
- 1 cup fresh fruit, to serve
- Mix the rice with the coconut milk, milk, lime rind and sugar.
- Pour the rice mixture into a lightly-greased 1.4 litre shollow ovenproff dish and dot the surface with a little butter. Bake in 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the strip of lime. Stir the pudding well, add the pinch of ground star anise, if using, return to the oven and cook for a further 1-2 hours or until almost all the milk has been absorbed and a golden brown skin has baked on the top of the pudding. Cover the top of the pudding with foil if it starts to brown too much to wards the end of the cooking time.
- Serve the pudding warm or chilled with fresh or stewed fruit.
I modified this for allergic kids and made it with 2 (13.5 oz) cans of coconut milk and the rest soy milk to equal the total liquids in the recipe. I also added about a tablespoon of coconut oil instead of butter. It came out fantastic and everyone loved it! This is a great find, thanks for sharing.
I followed the recipe and directions exactly and it came out beautifully! It was not too sweet, with good coconut flavor; nice and creamy. I think, however, that next time I would add a little bit of shredded toasted coconut on the top when serving to add a little texture and crunch and to enhance the flavor of coconut.
This was a hit with everyone at dinner tonight. I made this pretty much as directed. I did add a pinch of nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon. I also had a whole star anise baking in the casserole. I had one guest eat the pudding alone, I ate it with strawberries and blueberries as did another guest and one person had it with syrup. Made for ZWT9 Soup A Stars.