Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
This is the New England Classic in 30 minutes!
Make and share this Baked Clams recipe from Food.com.
- 24 medium clams, each about 2 inches across, see Note
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons clam juice, liquid from clams
- Discard any clams that are cracked, chipped or open. Soak in a bowl of water for 20 minutes to clean.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat for 6 minutes or until crispy. Set on paper towels to drain.
- Once clams have soaked, scrub one by one with a brush to remove any additional sand or barnacles.
- Fill a large pot with a steamer insert with 1 inch of water. Heat to simmering, add clams and cover. Cook, covered, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until all shells open up. Take off heat; remove clams from pan, reserving liquid. Let clams cool slightly. Pull off top shell and remove clam from shell to a cutting board. Coarsely chop clams.
- Heat broiler. Place 24 clam shells on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine clams, bacon, bread crumbs, Parmesan, oregano, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir to blend. Drizzle with olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking liquid. Stir until moist. Spoon stuffing into clam shells, deviding equally.
- Broil stuffed clams for 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on top. Serve warm.
- NOTE: If you are unable to hand-pick the clams, order a few extra in case some are damaged and have to be dicarded.