Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The butter is melted on a baking sheet and sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. French bread is then dipped into batter, placed on sugar mixture and baked. Serve sugar side up. Delicious!
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1 ",thick
- 4 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place butter on 10x15 baking sheet and melt in oven.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon (as much as you like).
- Beat together rest of ingredients and dip bread in the batter, letting them soak for a bit.
- Lay bread slices on sugar cinnamon mixture and bake for 30 minutes.
I find that bumping the heat up to 400 has a better result. I cut the butter to 1/3 cup the second time I made it, and we didn't notice a quality difference... so better light! Today I tried 1/4 cup butter, which was also really good. Also, I use brown sugar for sprinkling... approximately 1/3 cup.
Really good recipe that I'll make again... it's easier than making smaller quantities on the stovetop and tastes great. Thanks.
Excellent! I made this for Christmas morning and everyone loved it. I made it more like a bread pudding casserole with torn bread pieces in a 9x13 pan. The top was a little crunchier than I would have liked . . . when I make this again I'll probably cover the pan for a bit. Thank you for sharing. Most similar recipes recommend overnight soaking; I didn't miss that step a bit!
This was delicious! I made it with eggnog instead of milk for Christmas breakfast. It was fantastic. I agree that the butter could be cut. We'll definitely be making this again.