Recipe by Marie
The butter is melted on a baking sheet and sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. French bread is then dipped into batter, placed on sugar mixture and baked. Serve sugar side up. Delicious!
Top Review by Chef TanyaW
I find that bumping the heat up to 400 has a better result. I cut the butter to 1/3 cup the second time I made it, and we didn't notice a quality difference... so better light! Today I tried 1/4 cup butter, which was also really good. Also, I use brown sugar for sprinkling... approximately 1/3 cup.
Really good recipe that I'll make again... it's easier than making smaller quantities on the stovetop and tastes great. Thanks.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1 ",thick
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place butter on 10x15 baking sheet and melt in oven.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon (as much as you like).
- Beat together rest of ingredients and dip bread in the batter, letting them soak for a bit.
- Lay bread slices on sugar cinnamon mixture and bake for 30 minutes.