Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a super rich indulgence that is very much like the middle of an apple pie. A great recipe for those apples that are sitting in your fridge that nobody wants to eat. Prep time includes time to peel the apples by hand (but you don't have to peel them if you don't want to). Enjoy!
- 6 large very tart apples, cored, sliced and peeled (peels on is okay too!)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or less if you have sweeter apples)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT BUTTER into crock pot; stir well, coating all apple slices, and place slices of butter on top.
- Cook on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2 hours OR cook on LOW 3-1/2 to 4 hours, stirring once half way through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Way to sweet for me and the apples turned out mushy. Next time, I will greatly reduce the sugar and will leave the peels on and only cut them in halves or quarters.
I brought these for yesterdays July 4th party. Nothing like American apple pie (without the crust) for a July 4 party. I doubled the recipe for about 15 people and there were NO left overs. Everyone LOVED them and was the only dish that didn't have left overs. They were delicious and I am so glad I brought them. I had to add a link on my facebook page so my friends and family could have the recipe. HIGHLY recommend this recipe.
This was delicious. I did make some tweaks similar to other reviewer suggestions. I only had 5 apples, so I only used 1/4 cup packed brown sugar. I also added 1/3 cup apple cider. I didn't have any cornstarch so I added 1 tablespoon of instant tapioca. Cook time was 1 hr, 25 min. I used Courtland apples that I sliced into about 1.5" wedges with an apple corer/slicer. They were soft, but not mushy.