Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Custardy batter made with Gold Medal flour is poured over thinly sliced apples dusted with cinnamon and baked until puffed and golden brown.
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large golden delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Combine the flour, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon and the salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk briefly to form a thin batter. (There will be lumps). Set aside.
- Place the butter in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and put the dish in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the butter. Arrange the apples slices in overlapping rows over the bottom of the dish.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake until the apples are slightly softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour the batter over the apples and sprinkle the top with brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Bake until puffed and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.