Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Indulge yourself in this smooth and creamy custard. You may decorate it with berries or chocolate shavings, if desire. (Cooling and chilling time not included)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease bottoms and sides of 8 6-ounce ramekins and place them in a large baking dish.
- Heat milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate; let stand for 30 seconds; whisk until smooth.
- Combine eggs, egg white, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Whisk until slightly thickened; slowly add hot chocolate mixture to egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Divide mixture among ramekins.
- Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges are set but centres still quiver slightly.
- Do not overbake.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and cool on rack for 30 minutes.
- chill for at least 3 hours before serving.