Recipe by Grace Fung
Indulge yourself in this smooth and creamy custard. You may decorate it with berries or chocolate shavings, if desire. (Cooling and chilling time not included)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease bottoms and sides of 8 6-ounce ramekins and place them in a large baking dish.
- Heat milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate; let stand for 30 seconds; whisk until smooth.
- Combine eggs, egg white, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Whisk until slightly thickened; slowly add hot chocolate mixture to egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Divide mixture among ramekins.
- Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges are set but centres still quiver slightly.
- Do not overbake.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and cool on rack for 30 minutes.
- chill for at least 3 hours before serving.