Recipe by javagirl81
This is my recipe for my Chipotle Chicken baked mac & cheese which I got many requests for this weekend. For all of you who want to spice up your Turkey Day menus... Enjoy, and leave a review! (This recipe makes two trays, one for now, and one that you can freeze and bake on another day)
- 2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Boar's Head Chipotle Gouda, sliced
- 1 lb Boar's Head 3 Pepper Colby Jack™ cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Boar's Head Chipotle Chicken, sliced into thick strips about 1/2 in. wide x 1 in. long
- cooking spray
- plain breadcrumbs, for coating pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring about 1 1/2 gallons of water to a full boil in a large saucepan. Add a generous amount of salt, and add the macaroni, stir.
- Cook for 9 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, to ensure they don't stick together. Drain very well, toss the macaroni with the chicken, and set aside.
- Melt butter in another large saucepan, add the flour, and cook until very light brown, over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth, continue whisking for one minute. Reduce the heat, and simmer while whisking, until it thickens. It should be the consistency of smooth gravy. Turn off the heat, and whisk in the cheeses until smooth.
- Mix the cheese sauce with the macaroni/chicken mixture in the same pot that you boiled it in, or a very large mixing bowl.
- Spray two 13x9 inches baking dishes with cooking spray, and add the breadcrumbs to the pan, shaking them around to coat the entire pan. Discard the excess. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! It will ensure that your macaroni and cheese doesn't get stuck to the pan.
- Pour the mac & cheese into the baking pan, and smooth it out a little bit.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes, until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, and cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.