1 hr 10 mins
If served with rice and refried beans you will be rolling away from the table. I make these for tailgate parties at my house-keeps them full and happy!!!!!! Please note prep time does not include cooking the meat, which can be done a day in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs shredded beef or 2 -3 lbs shredded pork or 2 -3 lbs shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- adobo sauce (from chipotles)
- 8 -10 large tortillas (white flour or whole wheat)
- 1After stewing the meat on a crockpot or pan drain off liquid and reserve.
- 2Shred and chop meat-set aside.
- 3In a large skillet cook onion and garlic with just a touch of oil and cook until onion is just browning.
- 4Add the meat, chilies, oregano, salt and red pepper and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- 5Add adobo sauce if needed, you don't want a totaly dry mixture and you dont want it soggy.
- 6Warm tortillas in the oven so they are bendable.
- 7Lay out 3 or 4 at a time and slightly off center place some cheese and then about 1/2 a cup of meat mixture and fold envelope style.
- 8Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet-repeat.
- 9Lightly oil the tops and bake in a 425 oven for 20 minutes or a 375 oven for 35-40 minutes-your choice.
- 10With the juices from the cooked meat I make a spicy gravy to offer with this.
- 11When done remove from oven.
- 12Serve with condiments, spanish rice and refried beans.
- 13Believe me when I say you will roll away from the table!
- 14To Plate: Lettuce on the bottom, then chimichanga, then gravy, then guac and sour cream and salsa, then remaining condimednts sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1240.4
- Calories from Fat 881
- Total Fat 97.9 g
- Saturated Fat 40.9 g
- Cholesterol 137.5 mg
- Sodium 980.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 26.1 g