Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If served with rice and refried beans you will be rolling away from the table. I make these for tailgate parties at my house-keeps them full and happy!!!!!! Please note prep time does not include cooking the meat, which can be done a day in advance.
- 2 -3 lbs shredded beef or 2 -3 lbs shredded pork or 2 -3 lbs shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- adobo sauce (from chipotles)
- 8 -10 large tortillas (white flour or whole wheat)
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- salsa or picante sauce
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeno
- sliced olive
- gravy (made from the meat-I make it quite spicy)
- After stewing the meat on a crockpot or pan drain off liquid and reserve.
- Shred and chop meat-set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic with just a touch of oil and cook until onion is just browning.
- Add the meat, chilies, oregano, salt and red pepper and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Add adobo sauce if needed, you don't want a totaly dry mixture and you dont want it soggy.
- Warm tortillas in the oven so they are bendable.
- Lay out 3 or 4 at a time and slightly off center place some cheese and then about 1/2 a cup of meat mixture and fold envelope style.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet-repeat.
- Lightly oil the tops and bake in a 425 oven for 20 minutes or a 375 oven for 35-40 minutes-your choice.
- With the juices from the cooked meat I make a spicy gravy to offer with this.
- When done remove from oven.
- Serve with condiments, spanish rice and refried beans.
- Believe me when I say you will roll away from the table!
- To Plate: Lettuce on the bottom, then chimichanga, then gravy, then guac and sour cream and salsa, then remaining condimednts sprinkled on top.