Recipe by VegBear
From La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. This is an easy way to make chili for the week. The cornbread topping is good.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetarian ground beef, crumbled
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can pickled green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons soymilk or 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 400. Lightly oil a 9x13 pan.
- In a large saucepan saute the onions and peppers in oil until the onions are translucent. Add remaining chili ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- While chili is cooking mix 'milk' and vinegar. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the oil and milk mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- Transfer chili to baking pan and spoon the cornmeal batter on to the top.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.