Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Sunset Casserole Cookbook.
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut in strips
- 8 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can marinara sauce
- pitted ripe olives
- Cut a slit down the side of each chile and remove seeds and pith.
- Fold or stuff equal lamounts of cheese inside each chile.
- Arrange chiles side by side in a lightly buttered shallow 3-quart casserole or 9x13-inch baking dish.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs until thick and foamy.
- Add milk, flour, and baking power; beat until mixture is smooth.
- Pour egg batter evenly over chiles and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until casserole is puffed and jiggles only slightly when gently shaken.
- Just before casserole is ready, heat marinara sauce to simmering and place in a small serving bowl.
- Quickly garnish hot casserole with olives and serve at once with marinara sauce.
Easy and good. But I used 2 7-ounce cans of chiles, and I thought even then I could have used one more. The addition of marinara sauce to Mexican food was new to me, but it worked! Great!