Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation's website - haven't tried it yet, but wanted to post it here as I really wanna try it! I've tried some of the others from the site, and they're all pretty healthy and good! I think they'd be great in a tortilla or pita with some diced tomato and cukes...
- 9.85 ml canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 540 ml can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg white
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 118.29 ml plain low-fat yogurt
- 14.79 ml minced fresh Italian parsley
- 14.79 ml minced of fresh mint
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml finely grated lemon rind
- 0.25 ml salt
- In nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, jalapeño, oregano and basil for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in bowl mash chickpeas using potato masher until smooth. Scrape onion mixture into bowl and stir to combine. Add egg white and parsley and stir until well combined and smooth.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and form into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties. Place patties on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in 425° F (220° C) oven for about 20 minutes, turning once halfway through or until golden.
- Lemon Herb Yogurt Sauce: Meanwhile, in bowl, stir together yogurt, parsley, mint, garlic, lemon rind and salt. Serve with chickpea patties.
These were good, but they turned out a bit dry for our taste. Per other reviewers' recommendations I added a bit of salt and extra garlic, which added to the flavor. I had something else in the oven at a lower temp so I baked longer, lower. The yogurt sauce was very good, also, though 1 year old DS preferred ketchup LOL. Made for ZWT 9, Gourmet Goddesses.
These were quite tasty, but mine did not hold together, which is why I'm giving them a 4 out of 5 stars. Loved the yogurt sauce, though - very yummy! Made for ZWT9.
These are really good. I'll be making them again. As stated by other reviewers, the sauce makes the recipe. They did take a lot longer to bake than stated but that's an easy fix. Made for ZWT9 Soup A Stars.