Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Easy-peasy inspiration for after-work meals and simple entertaining.
- 8 pieces chicken, skin on (such as thighs, breasts)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 14 ounces peeled whole tomatoes, chopped (from a can)
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Season the chicken well with salt and black pepper, then dust with the flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large flameproof casserole (preferably a cast-iron one) over a high heat. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side down, together with the bacon, and cook the chicken for 5–8 minutes on each side until everything is golden. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the remaining oil to the casserole with the onion and a pinch of salt. Sweat for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic, celery, and carrots. Sweat for a further 5–6 minutes until soft.
- Increase the heat to high once again, and add the wine. Let boil for a few minutes until the alcohol has evaporated. Tip in the tomatoes and their juices, and pour in the stock. Gently boil for a few minutes more. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and return the chicken and bacon to the casserole. Stir through, cover, and transfer to the oven to cook for about 1 hour. Top up with more stock or hot water if it begins to dry out. Serve with creamy mashed potato.