Recipe by T. Woolfe
A sort-of eastern rim chicken casserole. This is my take from taste memories of something my mom did long ago.
Top Review by ReeLani
I don't often make a recipe this soon after seeing it, but it sounded like it would be just the thing after a long day. Plus, I like the small quantity. The flavors blended very nicely and I'm looking forward to having the leftovers tomorrow for lunch. Slivered almonds were impossible to find at the store tonight, so I used the sliced ones. I'll definitely make this agagin, maybe in a larger quantity for a potluck.
- 3⁄4 cup sliced cremini mushroom
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour (it's 3 min. Blonde Roux time)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk or 1 -2 tablespoon light cream
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg (fresh please})
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sliced water, chesnuts (canned is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté three quarters of a cup of sliced brown mushrooms, get a slight color change and remove them from the pan.
- Then, make a Roux (I swear, after I die and if I go to a *bad* place my personal devilment will be the chant of the demons "What's a Roux?).
- What's a Roux? One tablespoon of butter, one heaping tablespoon of flour cooked about three minutes but not browned.
- Add a half cup of chicken broth and a couple tablespoons of milk or light cream.
- Break an egg, you just need the yoke.
- Put it in a little bowl, add a teaspoon or so of the hot liquid and mix.
- This is called tempering, and it pre heats the egg so when you add it back to the sauce you don't get scrambled eggs.
- This works every time you have to add eggs to something hot.
- Whisk it back in to the sauce.
- Add a good grate of nutmeg.
- In a small baking dish spread a cup of cooked chicken cut in large pieces.
- Spread on the cooked mushrooms and a half cup of sliced water chestnuts.
- Add a half tablespoon of soy sauce to the sauce and pour it over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle on a quarter of a cup of slivered almonds (you might try some of those SmokeHouse (tm) to add some zap).
- Bake, uncovered, for about twenty five minutes in a 350°F oven.