Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
You could use only one can creamed soup I prefer to use two cans, one 4.5-ounce can sliced mushrooms, well drained also works well in place of fresh --- serve with hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes --- this is *very* good!
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (or as needed) or 2 -3 tablespoons butter (or as needed)
- 1 large onion, sliced (can use two medium onions)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl combine two cans cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using) evaporated milk, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper; mix until well combined; place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Set oven to 425°F (set oven rack to lowest position).
- Pour the melted butter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl combine flour with 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture one piece at a time to coat completely.
- Place the chicken in the pan skin-side down.
- Bake uncovered at 425°F for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over skin-side up and continue baking for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking heat 2-3 tablespoons oil or butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add in sliced onions and mushrooms; sauté until tender, then mix in with the mushroom soup mixture.
- After the last 20 minutes of cooking the chicken remove from oven and drain all fat from pan.
- Slightly warm the soup mixture in the microwave then then pour the soup mixture in the pan on top and around the chicken.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with paprika.
- Reduce oven heat to 325°F.
- Cover pan with foil and continue baking for about 20 minutes.
Ty! Wonderful flavor and my DH's daughter was delighted to sample it on her lunch break. I used skinless breasts and had no problem! Rich and creamy, and great cuz i had everything in the pantry!!! Ur awesome!! And I didnt have to go the market!!!!
Kitten , dh just finished dinner and he said this recipe is beyond description. Seasoning was perfect , nothing needed changing and I totally agree. How your recipes are always so perfectly seasoned is deffinately a talant you have. I've sent this recipe and your burger bun recipe to friends and family today. I hope you never leave the zaar, i'll be lost. Wish I could give more thatn 5 stars. Nita
Kittencal- Anytime I see a recipe of yours- I know it's a winner every time!! I just made this and the house smells amazing! I tasted it and it rates 5 stars plus some! thanks for another great recipe, Patty in Indy