Recipe by Barbara In Florida
Adapted from The Best of Food and Wine. This recipe is elegant enough for company, special occations or just to treat your family. I usually double the sauce ingredients to have extra for rice, linguine or mashed potato or just for sopping with crusty bread. Serve with your favorite side and crisp salad. This may sound time consuming but if prep work is all done before hand it goes together quite easily. Believe me it is worth it.
Top Review by Scribbler515
This is a dinner-worthy recipe. I used 2 chicken breasts, 4 oz. of canned mushrooms, no lime zest or capers, bottled lime juice and all the remaining ingredients. I would NOT recommend doing that again, b/c the dish came out too buttery. Next time, if I use half the chicken, I will use half the butter and mushrooms, and leave everything else as is, although I'd also leave out the breadcrumbs, as I think it made a mushy paste considering the sauce. Also, I covered the scallions, mushrooms and garlic while sauteeing, so it came out very tender. I baked the dish for 20 minutes instead of 15, and then I let sit in the warm oven (oven off) for 10 more minutes so the chicken could sit in the sauce. I served with mashed potatoes and boiled carrot slices. My husband loved it. Thank you posting.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup minced scallion (white and green part)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (or more if you like)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced lime zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fine dry breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim off any fat or membranes from the chicken.
- Pound thicker ends lightly to flatten to an even thickness.
- Dredge the chicken in flour; shake off excess.
- In a large non reactive skillet, melt 4 Tbs butter over moderately high heat.
- Add chicken and saute, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 mins per side.
- Remove to plate. Keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the scallions,garlic, mushrooms and capers.
- Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to moderately high, add wine and boil, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes ( If more liquid is needed add more white wine.).
- Spread half the sauce in a buttered baking dish just large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle on the lime juice.
- Cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkly on the lime zest, parsley and bread crumbs.
- Dot with remaining Tbs butter.
- Bake uncovered in the top third of the oven for 15 mins or until the juices run clear.
- Serve at once.