Samuel Holden's Note:
This is a mixture of several recipes I've seen on this website, thanks to all the chefs who posted chicken recipes. The caramelized onions are and adaptation on someone else's onions, but I can't remember who right now (do tell if you know who you are).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 118.29 ml feta cheese, drained and crumbled
- 29.58 ml flour
- 59.16 ml dried rosemary (or 2 fresh if you are lucky enough to have it fresh)
- 9.85 ml salt
- 15 black peppercorns
- 10 white peppercorns
- 50 g butter
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml very hot water
- 1 chicken stock cube (or use vegetable stock if you have it)
- 0.5 ml Tabasco sauce
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml sherry wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 1Wash chicken breast fillets and pat dry, cut in half.
- 2In a small pan heat butter and oil till liquid, set aside.
- 3Take a large, heavy based, frying pan, heat and add 2 tbsp fat.
- 4Fry chicken on a high heat until it has turned from its original rosy colour to white on both sides, remove from pan immediately, conserve the fat.
- 5With a mortar and pestle take the rosemary, the salt, both types of peppercorns and the flour and crush everything together so you have a fine powder with a few sprigs of rosemary remaining, set aside.
- 6Take the hot water and add the stock cube (use stock if you have any left from another day), add Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinager and sugar set aside.
- 7Heat oven to 350°F and place the remaining fat in an earthenware dish in the oven on a high shelf.
- 8Re-heat the fat in the frying pan and when hot fry the onions on a medium heat until they "relax".
- 9Turn the heat up to high and add 1/4 of the liquid, reduce until there is no liquid left, add another 1/4 of the liquid and repeat the process, finally add the remaining liquid and reduce again until all the liquid has evaporated, leave on a low heat for another 5 minutes, cover and set aside.
- 10Take fried chicken and sprinkle with the flour mixture on one side.
- 11Take the earthenware dish out of the oven and place the dusted side down in the fat, sprinkle the remaining mixture over the chicken.
- 12Bake for 15 minutes (turn halfway).
- 13Take crumbled feta cheese and crumble over the chicken.
- 14Grill until the feta cheese has "set", so that its dry and slightly golden (feta does NOT melt, so don't sit around waiting for it to melt 'cus you'll get a very dry chicken).
- 15To serve: re-heat the onions that have been steeping in their juices, and set up 3 pieces of chicken each with a"dollop" of onions in the centre.
- 16Garnish with a sprig of rosemary (if you must garnish things).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Chicken With Grilled Feta and Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.9
- Calories from Fat 507
- Total Fat 56.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 87.1 mg
- Sodium 3668.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken breast fillets
sherry wine vinegar