Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a mixture of several recipes I've seen on this website, thanks to all the chefs who posted chicken recipes. The caramelized onions are and adaptation on someone else's onions, but I can't remember who right now (do tell if you know who you are).
- 1 small onion
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons dried rosemary (or 2 fresh if you are lucky enough to have it fresh)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 black peppercorns
- 10 white peppercorns
- 50 g butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 chicken stock cube (or use vegetable stock if you have it)
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Wash chicken breast fillets and pat dry, cut in half.
- In a small pan heat butter and oil till liquid, set aside.
- Take a large, heavy based, frying pan, heat and add 2 tbsp fat.
- Fry chicken on a high heat until it has turned from its original rosy colour to white on both sides, remove from pan immediately, conserve the fat.
- With a mortar and pestle take the rosemary, the salt, both types of peppercorns and the flour and crush everything together so you have a fine powder with a few sprigs of rosemary remaining, set aside.
- Take the hot water and add the stock cube (use stock if you have any left from another day), add Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinager and sugar set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F and place the remaining fat in an earthenware dish in the oven on a high shelf.
- Re-heat the fat in the frying pan and when hot fry the onions on a medium heat until they "relax".
- Turn the heat up to high and add 1/4 of the liquid, reduce until there is no liquid left, add another 1/4 of the liquid and repeat the process, finally add the remaining liquid and reduce again until all the liquid has evaporated, leave on a low heat for another 5 minutes, cover and set aside.
- Take fried chicken and sprinkle with the flour mixture on one side.
- Take the earthenware dish out of the oven and place the dusted side down in the fat, sprinkle the remaining mixture over the chicken.
- Bake for 15 minutes (turn halfway).
- Take crumbled feta cheese and crumble over the chicken.
- Grill until the feta cheese has "set", so that its dry and slightly golden (feta does NOT melt, so don't sit around waiting for it to melt 'cus you'll get a very dry chicken).
- To serve: re-heat the onions that have been steeping in their juices, and set up 3 pieces of chicken each with a"dollop" of onions in the centre.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary (if you must garnish things).
We made this for our Valentines Dinner. It was excellent! I forgot to add the sugar to the onions and they still came out really good, I've always used sugar when caramelizing my onions, but I don't think this really needed it. Rave reviews from our house. I also used balsamic vinegar instead of the sherry vinegar.
Watch that you don't grill it too long on the last step - I burnt the feta. Still, this was delicious, looked classy, etc. It's even fun to cook!
The onions are from this recipe (found it!!): Low-Fat Chicken with Caramelized Onions by chef Dancer^ I thought I'd rate my recipe 'cos I like it... so there! LOL :))