Recipe by krooney80
Great, easy chicken meal
Top Review by jaybee chef
I'm giving this a 5 star review but that is really based on the changes I made (and there were many). The recipe needs a little clarification: I used 8 medium mushrooms and non-marinated artichoke hearts for the recipe and actually only used the recipe as written a guideline. In the flour mixture I used some granulated onion, granulated garlic and Susie Q's Santa Maria seasoning (basically salt and dried parsely and a few spices) and pepper. For the oregano, I used dried and sprinkled it on the mushrooms as they cooked and I used fresh rosemary but just threw the rinsed sprigs in to be removed before serving ( I added those just prior to putting in the oven) For the garlic I used the minced refrigerated variety (a great invention!). As I was cooking it I wondered what to serve with it, and I also noted it was all very bland in color. So I had 2 very large red potatoes that I sliced in half lengthwise and then across in 1/4 inch slices and sauted these at the end of the mushroom cooking for a few minutes. To compensate for the addition, I added about 1/2 cup chicken broth and a little more salt and pepper. I was a little concerned as I started topping the chicken that it may need more seasoning so I added some smoked kosher salt and maybe a teaspoon of italian seasoning. I did think it still could use a little more color for eye appeal so I added some red pepper strips (1 pepper) and some brocolli florets (about 2 cups) at the last 5 minutes of cooking. The result of this recipe with the changes I made is very much like a chicken stew and with the peppers and brocolli it was a very colorful and delicious dish. With all of the additions I made, it would serve at least 6 as a one-dish meal. Next time I make it I think I'll add even more liquid to make more sauce for the potatoes. I will definitely be making this again!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can artichokes, drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow plate. Dredge chicken in mix, tapping to remove any excess.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until lightly browned, turning once, about 4 minutes. Transfer to baking dish.
- Add onion to pan and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until lightly golden, about 3 more minutes. Add garlic and saute until aroma is released, about 30 seconds. Stir in wine, artichokes, rosemary, and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer.
- Pour artichoke mix over chicken, cover, and bake 40 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir in oregano before serving.