Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
From the BarleyFoods.org web site. Healthy and hearty. The small amount of marmelade is not CORE and is optional, but is probably only 0-1 points if you decide to include it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 medium tart green apple, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade or 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Heat oil in large skillet; sauté onion, bell peppers and garlic 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped apple and curry powder; sauté 4 minutes longer. Stir in barley and chicken broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Pour barley mixture into large baking dish or casserole. Arrange chicken breasts over barley and season with garlic salt. Cover and bake in 375º F oven for 45 minutes. Remove cover; brush chicken with marmalade. Continue to bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Per serving: 431 calories, 34g protein, 8g fat, 59g carbohydrate, 68mg cholesterol, 9g fiber, 850mg sodium.