Recipe by Dienia B.
This recipe is really old. It starts out with stew one chicken; this is when chickens were tough. Uou need to put chicken skin through food chopper; I am not sure why; tried to look for explanation and found none; if you know please food.com mail me, I am curious.
- 1 chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup chicken fat
- 6 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Stew one chicken; cut into pieces; put skin through food chopper.
- Fry onions and celery in butter or chicken fat until just tender, not brown.
- In a bowl mix bread crumbs, eggs, and baking powder, and seasonings which you use to taste.
- Mix well.
- Add onions and celery and ground skin.
- Add enough milk to moisten; recipe said 1-1/2 to 2 cups milk.
- Put chicken on bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with dressing.
- Pour chicken broth over until it can be seen in pan.
- Bake for 1 hour to 90 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.