Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from my Mom and subsequently lost it. Just found it again yesterday so now it's getting posted for safekeeping. It's really good and only 5 points on the weight watcher's plan.
- 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 pieces, about 4 oz each)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 2 tbsp of the margarine in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it's smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Add the broth and wine.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, lemon peel and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Place chicken and remaining margarine in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until the chicken is no longer pink. (about 20 minutes).
- Sprinkle mushrooms over the chicken.
- Spoon broth mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake until golden. (about 30 minutes).
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Can I just say...this is OFF THE CHARTS EXCELLENT in the low fat category? I only baked the chicken about 15 minutes prior to adding the sauce...I used fat free yogurt (store was out of low fat) and used about 3 cups of fresh mushrooms. I used a dry chardonnay. We LOVED this!! I wasn't expecting much...especially since I had to go the fat free vs low fat route. Made the sauce thin, but didn't take away from the taste. Just wonderful! PLENTY of sauce to serve over rice (which we did). Will definitely make this on again! Made for Holiday tag. Thank you for a true winner!
The sauce mixture was good, but I did noticed a few reviewers used sour cream instead of the yogurt which I think would have made it even better. We enjoyed the lemon in the sauce, but felt the chicken was very bland, no flavor, just baked chicken. If the chicken was seasoned or brined prior to baking it might have given it some flavor. Thanks for posting. :)
Scaled back to 3 serves and as Annacia said absolutely scrumptious. I did use just chicken stock (no wine) and thought I had yoghurt there but had to to use low fat sour cream and my chicken breasts were between 5 to 6oz but the time stated was perfect for them. Thank you Dreamer in Ontario, made for ZAAR STARS TAG GAME.