Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delicious and attractive way to use up leftover roast chicken. It makes a wonderful dish to serve for lunch or supper. Deliciossso!!!
- 4 tomatoes, about (2 lbs. each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken, diced and roasted
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely-diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped and salted
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- seasoning salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cut a slice off top of each tomato and scoop out pulp, reserve for other use.
- Sprinke inside of tomatoes with salt and turn upside down to drain.
- In small saucepan melt butter and blend in flour. Cook, stirring until bubbly.
- Off heat, stir in milk. Put back over low heat and cook, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in chicken, celery, onions, nuts and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Season to taste with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Fill tomato shells with the mixture. Arrange in shallow baking dish or pie plate.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minute or until golden brown on top.
Very delicious. I tried to use extra healthy ingriedents (non hydrogenated marg., skim milk, chicken breast, skim cheddar). I also had to use big green peppers instead of tomatos. I would like to know, where in the world do you find four two pound tomatoes?