Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this one on the net, and thought I would give it a try. After thoroughly enjoying this recipe, I decided to post it. What a great hearty, lunch/dinner... or an appetizer.
- 1 cup marinara sauce (prepared or homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup finely snipped fresh basil leaf
- 8 portabella mushrooms, each about 4 to 5 inches in diameter
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed (2 average-sized chicken breasts)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers, and sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced Italian parsley (no stems)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (optional)
- salt, and freshly ground black (optional) or white pepper (optional)
- shredded mozzarella cheese (as desired) or cheese, of choice (as desired)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional) or romano cheese, as desired (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh basil (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine marinara sauce and basil, blending well; set aside.
- With a sharp knife, remove stems from mushrooms; coarsely chop stems and set aside.
- Arrange mushrooms, rounded-side-down in a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, marinara/basil sauce, garlic, green onion, peppers, Italian parsley, and Italian herbs, if desired, mixing well. May add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Press mixture onto mushrooms, dividing evenly and fitting each mushroom.
- Bake, loosely covered with aluminum foil, in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle each mushroom with shredded mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice and continue baking, uncovered, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle each lightly with Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired, and continue baking for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese becomes lightly browned.
Served this along with some alfredo noodles. Very good, but I may not put in as much chicken next time. Thanks for the recipe!
This was so lovely! I was super lazy and used canned chicken and all dried seasonings. I also added some chopped zucchini. Cooking times were right on. I would probably add more salt next time, and pre cook my veggies to bring out the garlic a bit more. Maybe some fresh tomatoes too. This is such an elegant presentation, great for guests! Thanks!