Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is my version of Demos' Restaurant's baked chicken soup. I found a recipe for basic chicken soup and changed it to mimic what we were looking for! Demos' is located in Murfressboro, TN, and we live in Memphis, so I have never been able to try them side by side. However, I do know that this is yummy and filling. PLEASE NOTE: as stated before, I DO NOT add veggies to this dish, because the soup at the resturant does not have any in it. However, I am sure that some added carrots or celery would be yummy. Also, double the flour and butter to make a thicker soup. We like ours less creamy. For the chicken, I either use leftover baked chicken or I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull all the chicken off of that. I have never tried canned chicken and I do not recommend it for this soup!
- 1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- 1⁄8 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (reduced sodium or fat free is fine)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 cup milk (2% and skim work fine)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- fresh parsley (1 small bunch, coarsely chopped) (optional)
- 2 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- In a large pot, melt the butter or margarine.
- After the butter is melted, mix the flour in until smooth.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth whisking or stirring continuously until no lumps remain.
- Add the shredded cooked chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian salad dressing mix; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the milk, lemon juice, white wine and parsley, if desired.
- Reduce heat to low, add the cooked rice and cover.
- Cook until rice is heated through.
- SOME SPECIAL NOTES:.
- I do not add veggies to this dish, because the soup at the resturant does not have any in it. However, I am sure that some added carrots or celery would be yummy. Also, double the flour and butter to make a thicker soup. We like ours less creamy. For the chicken, I either use leftover baked chicken or I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull all the chicken off of that. I have never tried canned chicken. If anyone uses canned, let me know how it turns out!
The soup was very good, however I have a correction as to how the recipe is written. I think the amount of rice should have been written "2 cups of cooked rice". The recipe is written to indicate that the 2 cups of rice has not been cooked. Be aware that 2 cups of rice, cooked, will yield 6 cups of cooked rice.
Love this soup, it's so easy to make and tastes delicious. I didn't miss the veg I normally put in a soup and this turned out to be a great lunch. It kept me full for hours; great recipe!
Delicious! Hit the spot! I didn't have the white wine but it was still good! I used fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice and Italian parsley! Yum! Making this again --it was a huge hit for all the Demos fans in the fam! Thanks for sharing!