1/2 Photos of Baked Chicken Soup
This soup is my version of Demos' Restaurant's baked chicken soup. I found a recipe for basic chicken soup and changed it to mimic what we were looking for! Demos' is located in Murfressboro, TN, and we live in Memphis, so I have never been able to try them side by side. However, I do know that this is yummy and filling. PLEASE NOTE: as stated before, I DO NOT add veggies to this dish, because the soup at the resturant does not have any in it. However, I am sure that some added carrots or celery would be yummy. Also, double the flour and butter to make a thicker soup. We like ours less creamy. For the chicken, I either use leftover baked chicken or I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull all the chicken off of that. I have never tried canned chicken and I do not recommend it for this soup!
My Private Note
pot of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (reduced sodium or fat free is fine)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 cup milk (2% and skim work fine)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- fresh parsley (1 small bunch, coarsely chopped) (optional)
- 2 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- 1In a large pot, melt the butter or margarine.
- 2After the butter is melted, mix the flour in until smooth.
- 3Slowly pour in chicken broth whisking or stirring continuously until no lumps remain.
- 4Add the shredded cooked chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian salad dressing mix; bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
- 6Add the milk, lemon juice, white wine and parsley, if desired.
- 7Reduce heat to low, add the cooked rice and cover.
- 8Cook until rice is heated through.
- 10SOME SPECIAL NOTES:.
- 11I do not add veggies to this dish, because the soup at the resturant does not have any in it. However, I am sure that some added carrots or celery would be yummy. Also, double the flour and butter to make a thicker soup. We like ours less creamy. For the chicken, I either use leftover baked chicken or I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull all the chicken off of that. I have never tried canned chicken. If anyone uses canned, let me know how it turns out!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.2
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 1080.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian salad dressing mix