Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have been making baked chicken reubens like this for years, the cast iron skillet heats evenly and with all the moisture in the kraut along with the chicked it works to perfection. I used a 9 inch skillet (Grisswold) along with the cast iorn lid.
- 4 boneless chicken fillets
- 32 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices big swiss cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups thousand island dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 drops hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oil
- Wash chicken well and pat dry. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper on each side of the chicken. In the cast iorn skillet with the oil, brown both sides of the chicken on medium heat. When browned on both sides, pour the kraut over the browned chicken. Add the thousand island dressing on top of the kraut.
- Spread the dressing across the kraut so it blended well. Place the swiss cheese on top of the kraut and bake at 325 for 1 hour or until desired doness. Sprinkle the fresh parsley on top of the cheese.
- Depending on your oven, it could take 45 minutes to be baked in the cast iorn skillet because of the even heat from the cast iron along with the cast iron lid. Serve hot! Goes great with mashed potatoes.