Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Chicken pot pie takes on an Italian twist in this reinvention of the classic casserole! Italian-seasoned chicken, carrots, celery and peas surrounded by a creamy sauce with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese topped with flaky circles of pie crust. Instead of potatoes there’s elbow macaroni and lots of them. One look at that golden brown crust with the creamy pasta peeking through from beneath will totally draw you in hook, line and sinker. This recipe came from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 big stalk celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup peas, fresh (or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 5 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 pie crust (I like this one)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 casserole dish or baking pan.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Season the chicken well with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Add to skillet and cook through, stirring often. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Cook 7-8 minutes, stirring often, stir in the peas and cook 2 more minutes. Remove the mixture from the pan to the bowl with the chicken.
- With heat on medium-low melt 3 tablespoons butter in the pan, whisk in the flour and cook 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth then the milk. Turn heat up to medium-high and bring to a simmer for 3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth to the bowl with the chicken/vegetables and mix well, then mix in both cheeses.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered casserole and spread out evenly.
- Roll the pie crust out on a lightly floured surface to about 10-inches in diameter and cut circles out of it with a biscuit or cookie cutter. Arrange them over top of the pasta.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes until the casserole is hot in the center and the crust is golden brown, if the crust starts to darken too much cover with aluminum foil. Let set 5 minutes before serving.