Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a little fussy but the end result is worth it.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Pat chicken dry.
- Pound to flatten slightly.
- Dust lightly with flour.
- Dip into egg.
- Combine breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Dip chicken in crumb mixture.
- Line a 9 x 13 dish with foil.
- Brush with vegetable oil.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated 400 oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a med size saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour.
- Cook, without browning, 3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add salt, pepper, basil and oregano.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Spread some of the creamy sauce on each piece of chicken.
- Drizzle with tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining parmesan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes longer.
This was delicious! I made it once, for family, and this recipe received rave reviews. Now, I'm adding it to my favorite main dishes. Thanks for sharing!
Easy to make and my daughter who LOVES Chicken Parmesan said it was the BEST.
I'm a novice cook, but this was easy and made me look really good! Thanks.Its great, moist chicken.