Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Chicken that is baked in a cream sauce. This is actually the work of two. I was putting together a recipe adding this and that, hubby came home and said "hey toss in some blue cheese". This is the outcome. It was rather tasty. I'm posting so I can remember what I did and see what the nutrition stats are. Also, I am a lover of blue cheese, don't think I ever met one I didn't like. If you don't like blue cheese you could sub Parmesan or any dry cheese that would not be stringy. Same with the spices if thyme doesn't tickle your taste buds pick one that does, just taste and go with what works for you. I even imagine this could be done in a crock pot, just adjust the time. Enjoy!
- 1 roasting chicken, cut up into 10 pieces
- 2 cups onions, sliced into smiles
- 2 cups mushrooms, halve and slice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, fresh, chopped (or powder)
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried (fresh would work)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup white wine, Sauvignon Blanc
- 4 ounces blue cheese (or more)
- Brown all the chicken pieces in a hot skillet sprayed with Pam or coated lightly with oil.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch oven proof casserole dish with Pam or lightly coated with oil.
- Remove chicken to casserole dish when browned.
- In same skillet as chicken was cooked in toss in the onion smiles and sliced mushrooms, cooking until moisture is released and evaporated.
- Add garlic and thyme about 5 minutes into the sautéing of the onions and mushrooms. Spread onions and mushrooms over browned chicken in casserole dish.
- In same skillet mix together the mushroom soup, sour cream, wine, blue cheese, salt and pepper to taste. (I used 4 oz. of blue cheese and feel that it could have used more, but as stated above I like blue cheese).
- Pour soup mixture over browned chicken and mushrooms in oven proof dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in a 350°Fe oven for one hour.
- Uncover and move chicken pieces around to kind of stir, sprinkle paprika over the top.
- Return to oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- We served this over rice, but I think that egg noodles or a fettuccine would be nice also.
- NOTE: You can use any cut of chicken you like. I find it works better for my family to purchase the whole chicken. The chicken I use are generally 4-5 pounds to give you an amount.