From the Sunset Potluck Cookbook. I love baked chicken recipes! And I especially like to collect recipes which call for those leg and thigh pieces, because those are always cheaper than most cuts of chicken. The recipe recommends serving with guacamole or a squeeze of lime juice.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup green chili salsa or 1⁄3 cup taco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs whole chicken legs-thighs, attached (6-8)
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs, salsa, and salt until blended.
- In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and oregano.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture and roll in crumb mixture.
- Repeat both steps 1 more time.
- In a shallow rimmed baking pan, melt butter as oven preheats to 400.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Add chicken, turn to coat with butter and arrange skin side up.
- Bake, uncovered, until meat near thighbone is no longer pink when slashed (40-45 minutes). Transfer chicken to a warm platter.
- Insulate to transport hot.