Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This Greek chicken dish has an intriguing blend of spices that flavor the tomato sauce for this traditional dish.Meatless Pastitsio pairs well with this dish. Froma February 1984 issue of Bon Appetit that featured A Feast of Heritage Dishes-Greek Dinner for 12.
- 3 (2 -2 1/2 lb) fryer chickens, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) cans whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup retsina wine or 1⁄2 cup other dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- Arrange chicken in single layer in baking dish.
- Cover with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Heat oil with butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain chicken and pat dry.
- Brown in batches;return to baking dish.
- Tie all spices in cheesecloth.
- Stir tomatoes, water,wine and tomato paste into same skillet, scraping up brown bits.
- Add spice bag; reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour tomato mixture over chicken;cover with foil.
- Bake until chicken is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Discard spice bag and serve.