Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very quick and tasty dish from the sister of my heart, Mary. I am posting it here for safe keeping. Gluten-Free and diabetic adjustments, included.
- 1⁄4 cup flour (I use Gluten Free flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
For the sauce
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons flour (I use Gluten Free flour)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I use Splenda)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a plastic bag. Add chicken, shake to coat in bag. Shake off the loose flour from chicken and arrange chicken in a baking dish. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce:.
- Cook peppers and onions in hot oil until tender,in a skillet.
- Stir in the 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Add chicken broth, sugar (or Splenda) and crushed red pepper.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar. Spoon over chicken and bake another 30 minutes.
This was VERY good! Super simple to throw together and went great over some pasta! The flavor reminds me a lot of a sweet and sour type thing. I halved the amount of chicken but made the entire amount of sauce and it was just right for us.... and actually I think next time if I planned on putting it on pasta again I might do 1 1/2 the amount of sauce since it is so good. Dh really enjoyed this as well. Thanks for a great recipe!